Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rear Swaybar Disconnect

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Swaybar Disconnect

Hello,

I recently bought a 2014 Rubicon, and was wondering if anyone has added a rear electronic swaybar disconnect. The front one is great, but I was thinking about adding that to the rear as well and wondered if anyone has priced that out. Any tips on the subject would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not even sure that is possible given it has to go through the computer. I honestly just remobed my rear sway bar entirely. I barely noticed a difference until around 75 to 80 mph on one specific part of the highway near me.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a company that makes an electronic rear sway bar. I forget the name, but saw it on Ruffstuff's website.

Wiring is simple as you wouldn't go through the computer, but direct to a switch.

Agree with the last poster that you can probably run without a rear sway bar. I don't have one and can't feel a difference.

All that said, why do you want to be able to disconnect it?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

From what I've read disconnecting them in the rear doesn't change the flex much but can hinder handling.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

on rear just make sure if you lift your jeep your swaybar links are long enough. Even on a 2" lift the stock rear sway bars are too short. The rear swaybar is much thinner and more flexible then the front and like was posted earlier does not impact droop like a front sway bar.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chronotripper
I'm not even sure that is possible given it has to go through the computer. I honestly just remobed my rear sway bar entirely. I barely noticed a difference until around 75 to 80 mph on one specific part of the highway near me.
I did the same thing. Removed it completely. Doesnt take much time at all. IMO the biggest difference is how much smoother it is in slow turns. Rather than swaying bacccckk and forth, the rear end is allowed to work and not bother the frame, allowing the body to stay nice and square.

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
From what I've read disconnecting them in the rear doesn't change the flex much but can hinder handling.
"Hinder" not so sure that is the word for it. It won't make as big of a difference as the front anti-sway bar being disconnected because the rear is so much smaller that it already flexes way more than the front. You will notice a difference in how much smoother the ride is IMO, even though you won't notice much more flex.

NOTE: if you DO remove/disconnect rear anti-sway, and the front too, you WILL notice a huge increase in roll. I do NOT reccomend driving on the road if BOTH are disconnected.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Id definitely suggest not removing it. As others have said, you dont really gain anything for flex and just end up with a sloppier ride on-road. If you want to.. look into Currie's anti-rock for the rear. Its a little spendy but its an upgrade. Same for the front...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rear

I wouldn't bother. much better things to spend your $ on.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

I have the currie antirocks on mine and I am happy. Something to look into for your rear sway bar upgrade.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

another thing to note - from what I've heard and it makes sense but you are a lot less stable in off camber wheeling. I have never messed with mine for that reason - another guy mentioned more body roll..same thing.

Quick Reply: Rear Swaybar Disconnect